There has been a church in Cottingham since at least 1150. The first reference we have is from the Chronicle of Meaux Abbey, which records a priest, but it’s likely that there was already a church here before that.

The building
The church is cross-shaped, and the earliest surviving part is the nave, built after about 1320 in the Decorated style. The walls of the transepts and some of their detail are also of this time, but the transepts were probably completed later in the 14th century. The tower was probably finished about 1400, again in the perpendicular style. It now has pinnacles added in 1744.
Nicholas de Luda
In 1362 Nicholas de Luda (that is, of Louth in Lincolnshire) became Rector, appointed by Edward, Prince of Wales. Edward, who was lord of Cottingham Manor, was known as the Black Prince, and was the eldest son of Edward III. Nicholas was Rector until 1383, and built the chancel in the Perpendicular style. Nicholas was a ‘king’s clerk’, and was given a number of official roles and church appointments by the king. There is a brass monument to Nicholas by the high altar.
Inside the church
The inside of the church was restored in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The original medieval stained glass had been destroyed, and was replaced in the nineteenth century. There are several magnificent windows by the Belgian artist JB Capronnier. The organ was made by Foster and Andrews of Hull, and is a very fine instrument. There are many monuments to merchants, landowners, sailors and soldiers around the walls.
This beautiful church is now a grade one Listed building, and is a monument to centuries of prayer and worship.
Visiting St Mary’s
The church is open during daylight hours, normally 9.30am-5.30pm. Please come in and look around, say a prayer, or enjoy the peace and beauty of the building.